Have we forgotten about the small things in life? Just because they are small or trivial doesn't mean they are insignificant and therefore, don't deserve our attention. Little did we realize that these small things in life are capable of putting a smile on our faces. Yes, the ordinary, simple and not unusual things which we shall call as life's little pleasures.
Yesterday, while waiting for my turn to see the doctor in the hospital, I came across an article on Reader's Digest Asia, discussing about life's little pleasures of readers, businesspeople and famous names around the world. Personally, I found the article to be enlightening for me. For a very long time (and yes, I do mean for a very long time indeed), I have failed to recognize the goodness and positivity that these simple yet fulfilling little things have brought me. Therefore, to ensure that I would always be reminded of these life's little pleasures if ever I would forget them in the future, I am going to pen them down here. However, I do know that the list of my life's little pleasures won't just stop here. I am sure there would definitely be more to come and of course, to write about. In this post, you might identify with some of my life's little pleasures and perhaps, nod at some others, but whatever it is, I hope this read will leave you feeling nostalgic and light-hearted and definitely, a renewed appreciation for life.
25 of my life's little pleasures in no particular order:
- The smell of rain - the warm, moist, sandy, musky scent that emits from the wet ground
- Fresh beddings - the comforting floral smell from the washing and the clean feeling I get when I sleep on them
- The soothing wind that blows on a hot day, evaporating my sweat
- The small little sweet words, notes and gifts I get from my most beloved
- The kind words my friends give me when I am feeling down
- The pretentious innocent look on my dogs' faces when they know they have done something wrong like secretly peeing along the entrance hallway. My anger at them just melts away.
- Weekend dinners with close friends to catch up on the latest in life
- Days when you have nothing to do but sleep all day
- The moment when a favorite song which I have not heard in ages is being played on the radio while I am driving
- McDonald's ice cream
- A very good not-to-miss deal on Groupon.my or MyDeal.com.my
- The moment when I apply mascara onto my lashes without smudging
- A hot cup of coffee or chocolate with my most beloved and the chats we have when drinking a cuppa
- Waking up in the morning feeling like I have had the greatest sleep ever
- The refreshing cold feeling of water running over my feet - waves that roll over my feet as I walk deeper into the sea or the mountain water when I deep my feet into it
- The right angle, focus and lighting when I snap a picture
- Walking pass a photo of both myself and my beloved only to look at it even more closely and reminisce the moment when we were snapping that photo
- Mommy reading my mind and cooking my favorite dishes
- Reading an interesting article in a randomly picked-up magazine
- Accidentally coming across a beautiful dress or shoes or bags or accessory within my budget
- The opportunity to attend events and talking to strangers
- Freebies and free samples when I am shopping in a supermarket
- Thanking God that it is time to go home when the clock ticks 5.45pm which means the end of a work day for me, especially after a stressful one
- The fresh smell of my shampooed hair
- The hugs and kisses I get from my beloved every morning
And the list goes on.
I am thankful for these life's little pleasures which most of the time I must admit, go unnoticed by myself. It is true that the combination of these little nice things is what make our lives so wonderful. So don't forget to recognize and acknowledge when one really does happen. We don't have to go far to gain happiness. It is always happening around us, if only we give more attention.